Welcome to Purgatory, Earpers

This may be different from the blog subjects I mention or talk about, but I wanted to dedicate this blog to a show that has really helped me come out of my skin: Wynonna Earp. Now, I’m sure 95% of you are like, “What the heck is that? I’ve never heard of that show before.” The other 5% of you know exactly what I’m talking about. For the majority of you that are scratching your heads, allow me to explain…

Wynonna Earp is a fantastic show that mixes Sci-Fi and Western all into one. And so I don’t spoil it for you readers that haven’t heard of the show, just in case you might want to watch it, It’s about a descendant of Wyatt Earp, who, when they turn 27, they can wield a kickass gun to kill demons, or revenants as they are called on the show. The show has already aired S1 and S2, and is currently filming S3. This show does everything right from the writing to the cast; every single part of this show is perfect.

Now, why this show means the world to me is that it has allowed me to get to know some pretty amazing people, or as they are known…Earpers. Which, out of all of the fandoms I’m a part of, this is by far the coolest name to ever exist. Granted, I haven’t actually met any of these people in person, I have chatted with several over social media, three of them have to be my favorite YouTube reactors ever: Abnormally Adam, Divina of WhooshBangPow and Marcie De Feo. They are some of the nicest people I have ever met, and any time I’ve watched one of their reactions to the show, I always end up going “SAME!” and we’d end up having a full on conversation in the comments. It’s absolutely great.

What’s also pretty great about this show is that it’s allowed me to accept myself for who I am and allowed me to grow as a person. I can’t think of any of my other favorite shows that have that kind of power. Whenever I watch it, I don’t feel scared to be me. I feel more confident whenever I fangirl about the show; I always get the “Man, this girl is weird” looks, or I even get called a nerd fro time to time. But I don’t see that as I bad thing, if someone calls me a nerd I say, “Nerd? I think you mean Intellectually Badass.” and give them a smirk because I know I’m pretty freaking awesome.

The characters on the show have also allowed me to come out of my shell, especially Waverly Earp, aka The Earpiest Earp of them all. Don’t get me wrong, I love all of the characters equally, but as soon as I saw Waverly, I instantly saw myself in that character. I even thanked Dominique Provost-Chalkley, the actress who plays this amazing character, for the wonderful job she’s done portraying such a strong, down to earth, smart and kind character and how much it means to me to see a character like that, that I can relate to on TV.

Speaking of relatable, that’s why Wynonna Earp is so great. No matter who you are or what you look like, Emily Andras, a Queen and the show runner of this fantastic show, has created someone, some thing or a story line on the show any person can see themselves in. This show helped me figure out who I am as a person, and is continuing to help me grow. Granted I haven’t been a part of this fandom for very long, a few months at least, but with how fast I’ve caught up it feels like it has been years.

Not many of my favorite shows that I watch have such inclusivity like Wynonna Earp. From the art to the fan fictions I’ve read online, The Earper community puts out such a positive, warm, welcoming vibe that it’s hard not to smile. This show allows each of its viewers to be who they are without having to feel self-conscious about what other people may think of them. More shows need to follow this show’s example. In my opinion, Wynonna Earp is one of the best shows in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy genre right now.

I mean let’s face, what other show can claim that it’s leading lady fought Revenants and kicked down doors to save the day…while pregnant? Answer: None. Melanie Scrofano is an actual superhero, not to mention she’s an amazing human being who’s social media posts always manage to make me laugh ridiculously loud, and make me smile forever.

 

So, that is my dedication to one of the greatest shows, as well as one of the greatest fandoms. As Olly Anna said…I’m the only one that can write my story. And nobody else’s gonna do it for me.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s